We used to hate science, so the thought of doing science at Christmas . . . bleh!
Nowadays, we love the subject. Can’t get enough of the stuff. All thanks to the Prez, Uncle Cecil, and one crazy summer filled with invisible zip-line travel!
We have made a list. We have checked it twice. And now we’re going to find out who’s . . . no wait . . . that one is about Santa.
We have made a list of 25 Christmas science activities we plan on trying this break. And today, we are sharing that list with you!!
25 Christmas Science Ideas
These are in no particular order, we just kind of threw the activities together in categories to make it easier.
Some have links to explanations, some just explain themselves. Either way, we know you will enjoy them!
1. Make snowflake crystals with Borax.
2. Play with fake snow.
3. Look at snowflakes with our palm-sized microscope.
4. Measure snow.
5. Engineer the best snow fort ever, that is if we have a white Christmas!
6. Create a snowstorm in a jar.
8. See which freezes first.
9. Blow some frozen bubbles.
11. Make several ice-jelly candle holders.
12. Lift an ice cube with string.
13. Pour some water on the sidewalk and time how long it takes to freeze.
14. Take a nature walk to see if there are any evergreens in our area.
15. Identify the evergreens are in our neighborhood.
17. Make a Christmas tree weave.
18. Play with pine cones.
20. Make a few candy cane bows.
21. Watch what happens when we melt and cool peppermint disks in a pie pan.
22. Try to grow a candy cane.
23. Have a few candy cane eruptions.
24. Mix up a batch of peppermint creams.
25. Create some chromatography Christmas ornaments.
26. Sing some carols with a science theme.
27. Make some toothpaste for Santa.
28. Whip up a batch of star-shaped window clings.
29. Gaze at the stars on a cool winter night.
30. Learn about the chemistry of cookies.
A Final Word
Ok, so we went a bit over twenty-five, but you don’t mind, do you? Some of these ideas were just too good not to share them with you!
Blaine and I will not be bored this break and with this list, neither will you. If you do try one of these out, be sure to take a pic and share it with us on Facebook.
Merry Christmas to you all and see ya next year!